Supporting LGBTQ+ Travellers
For LGBTQ+ travellers, it is essential to recognise that, unfortunately, attitudes towards sexual orientation vary significantly worldwide. As assistants, we must offer the following support:
- Research LGBTQ+ Laws: Understanding the legal landscape concerning sexual orientation and gender identity at the travel destination is crucial for ensuring travellers’ safety.
- Maintain Regular Check-Ins: Encouraging LGBTQ+ travellers to stay connected with people at home and scheduling regular check-ins during their journey can provide security and support.
Supporting Disabled Travellers
Disabled travellers often encounter unique challenges related to accessibility and accommodations. As proactive assistants, consider the following:
- Plan Ahead: Arrange necessary accommodations in advance and provide comprehensive information about the traveller’s specific needs.
- Accessibility in Transport: Research transportation options and opt for direct flights to minimise potential hassles.
- Utilise Resources: To help disabled travellers find suitable accommodations and support, recommend reliable websites like Limitless Travel and government travel guides tailored for them.
Assistants play a pivotal role in championing the duty of care for diverse travellers. By proactively managing risks and offering essential safety advice, we contribute significantly to the well-being and security of those we support.
Every traveller’s risk appetite and experiences differ, so it is essential that we have these conversations with our colleagues before we plan their trip and then change our approach accordingly. With proper preparation and an awareness that everyone has different needs, we can ensure safe and successful business travel experiences.
To further enhance your skills and knowledge as a proactive Assistant, we encourage you to take the initiative and enrol in the Assistant Essentials Online Course. This comprehensive course offers valuable insights and practical strategies to navigate the complexities of business travel while prioritising the safety and well-being of travellers from all backgrounds. By investing in your professional development, you advance your career and foster a culture of safety, respect, and inclusivity within our organisations.