Planning a business trip or corporate event in a city you’re not familiar with can certainly be a challenge! Are you organising travel to Amsterdam and feel as though you could really use some insights from a local? Don’t worry – here are my top 5 hotel, restaurant and event venue recommendations across a range of price points from the straightforward business trip to sophisticated, executive luxury. Check out our top 5 hotels, restaurants and venues in Amsterdam.
Accommodation in Amsterdam can be pricey and hard to find at the last minute, so book in advance if you possibly can to make the most of the sophisticated, quirky and historical options available.
- The Pulitzer Amsterdam is an elegant 5-star hotel located right in the Negenstraatjes (Little Nine Streets) district, one of the most picturesque canalside areas famous for its many cafés and boutiques. This enchanting hotel is perfect for executives seeking a luxurious, comfortable room through to an extravagant suite package (from 254 to 908euros a night). Reservations: phone +31 205 235 235 or online.
- Hotel Vondel Amsterdam boasts the perfect location nearby the Vondelpark in Amsterdam’s museum district, and beautiful 4-star rooms in an 18th-century building. Ask for an upper floor room for a quieter stay, with rooms from 169-245euros per night. Reservations: +31 206 120 120 or online.
- CitizenM is a modern minimalist’s dream, with everything you need for a business stay. There are two locations, one at Schiphol (the Amsterdam airport) perfect for those brief stopovers and another a little south of the centre, priced reasonably from 89 to 145euros per night.
- The imposing 5-star Grand Hotel Amrath is a Dutch Art Nouveau luxury hotel inside the historic Scheepvarthuis (House of Shipping), right in the heart of Amsterdam. Prices range from 172 to 590euros per night. Reservations: +31 205 520 000 or online.
Amsterdam is known for its culture and nightlife, and there’s no shortage of great restaurants too, from historic pubs to modern hotspots.
- Restaurant De Kas (which means Greenhouse) takes a seasonal approach to lunch and dinner in a beautiful, high-ceilinged restaurant. Try 3 or 4 courses at lunch or linger longer at dinner, with 5 or 6 dishes accompanied by organic wines. Reservations: +31 204 624 562 or online.
- For a sophisticated executive three-course lunch for just 49euros, Bolenius won’t disappoint. Return for dinner with 5 or 7 courses for 79 or 99euros plus matching wines. Reservations: +31 204 044 411 or online.
- There are so many fabulous restaurants and bars in De Pijp (pronounced De Payp), so why not start your evening with dinner at Hennequin & To, a classy, sophisticated restaurant and bar with a French twist. Reservations: +31 208 462 188 or online.
- Madam Amsterdam is a must-visit, a rotating 360-degree panorama restaurant perched atop the famous Amsterdam Tower, conveniently located a short, free ferry ride over the river from Central Station. Enjoy superb food and cocktails, stunning sunsets and twinkling lights all evening plus the best views in the city. Reservations: +31 202 376 310 or online.
- Indulge in traditional, beautifully presented dishes at The Lobby Nesplein in the heart of the theatre district, before heading out to catch a show or enjoy Amsterdam’s nightlife. Reservations: +31 207 585 275 or online.
Amsterdam is one of Europe’s tech and innovation capitals, and its accessibility and rich culture makes it a very popular tourist and event destination. Here are my top 5 event venues in the Netherlands’ capital:
- The RAI Amsterdam is an enormous venue perfect for expos, conferences and large international gatherings of all kind plus bespoke support in managing your event. Details here.
- The Tobacco Theater is a historic building known for its vintage design features, with multiple spaces for hire for all kinds of events from creative to commercial to corporate. Details here.
- The Hortus Botanicus is one of the oldest botanic gardens in the world, established in 1638, with floor to ceiling windows and beautiful garden surrounds. A stunning venue with all bookings contributing directly to the maintenance of this special place. Details here.
- Zoku was voted one of the 25 coolest hotels in the world by Forbes, and it’s certainly a funky place to host meetings and events, with spaces offering capacity from 9 to 175 guests. Details here.
- Westergasfabriek Conference and Event Venue is a huge, renovated industrial complex set in parkland, with capacities from 180 to 3,500, it’s perfect for larger events. Details here.
This guest post is written by Katy Barbier-Greenland.
Katy Barbier-Greenland is from Melbourne and now resides in central Amsterdam. Over the last fifteen years, she’s worked in health, education and social policy development, research management and events, and currently works as a freelance writer and researcher at Social Marvellous. A qualified social worker, social scientist and librarian, she’s now undertaking a part-time PhD in sociology and psychology called Family Secrets, Secret Families. Katy loves art, libraries, secrets, minimalism, writing, social media, dancing, coffee, French films, restaurants and exploring Amsterdam – the most amazing city in the world. Connect with Katy on LinkedIn and feel free to get in touch for tips and recommendations on all things Amsterdam!